Skip to main content

How to Serve in Ministry Without Burning Out



I know what burnout feels like from the inside.

Not the kind where you're tired and need a holiday. The kind where you wake up on a Sunday morning and the thought of going to church, the place you love, the people you chose, the role you said yes to, fills you with something that feels uncomfortably close to dread.

The kind where you are still showing up, still serving, still saying the right things, but something essential has gone quiet inside you. Like a light that is still on but barely.

I have been there. And if you are in ministry long enough, the chances are you will be there too, or you already have been and you recognise every word of that paragraph.

What actually helped me wasn't a productivity system. It was going back to the root of why I was burning out in the first place: identity.

The root that nobody talks about: identity

Here is what I have come to believe about ministry burnout: at its deepest level, it is almost always an identity problem before it is a schedule problem.

It starts when what you do for God slowly becomes who you are before God.

It is subtle. You begin serving because you love God and you love people. That is pure and good. But somewhere along the way, without you noticing, your sense of worth starts attaching itself to your ministry. To whether the lesson went well. To whether people responded. To whether you were needed, valued, recognised.

And now you are no longer serving from a place of security. You are serving from a place of hunger. Trying to fill something through the work that can only be filled by the One you are working for.

That is an exhausting way to live. And it is unsustainable. Because ministry will always ask for more than you have, if your identity is riding on it.

What Jesus modelled that we keep skipping over

Look at the rhythm of Jesus's ministry in the Gospels and you notice something that is easy to read past. He regularly withdrew. He went to lonely places. He got up before dawn to pray. He sent the crowds away. He slept in the boat in the middle of the storm.

This was not Jesus being irresponsible with the needs around Him. The needs were always there. There was always another person to heal, another crowd to feed, another question to answer. The needs never paused.

But Jesus understood something that many of us in ministry miss: you cannot give what you do not have. And what He had came from the Father. Consistently. Intentionally. Privately.

John 5:19 gives us the key: Jesus only did what He saw the Father doing. He was not driven by need. He was not driven by guilt. He was not driven by the fear of letting people down. He was led. Quietly, daily, intimately led.

That is the model. Not hustle. Not endless availability. Not saying yes to everything because the need is real. A daily, unhurried, private connection with God that becomes the source everything else flows from.

The spiritual practice that changes everything

If there is one thing I came back to after burnout, one thing that made the difference, it was this: learning to receive before I gave.

Not longer quiet times as a religious obligation. Not more Bible reading to check a box. But genuinely coming to God with empty hands and saying: fill me before I go out there. I have nothing today. I need You before I need anything else.

It sounds simple. It is not always easy. Especially when the to-do list is long and Sunday is coming and someone needs something and you already feel behind.

But this is the spiritual root of sustainability in ministry: staying so connected to the source that what you give is overflow, not extraction. You are not emptying yourself for the kingdom. You are staying full of the kingdom and letting it spill out of you.

That difference determines how long you last in ministry.

Three honest questions to sit with

Not a checklist. Just three questions worth being honest about.

Am I serving from love or from need? Love gives freely and rests without guilt. Need keeps score and cannot stop.

When did I last let God minister to me, not through me? There is a difference between being used by God and being with God. Both matter, but one sustains the other.

What would I say no to this week if I truly believed my first calling was to be with Jesus before I do anything for Him? Mark 3:14 says Jesus appointed the twelve first to be with Him, and then to be sent out. Being comes before doing. Always.

You were not called to burn out for the kingdom

You were called to abide. To remain. To stay so close to the vine that fruit comes naturally, not through striving but through staying connected.

John 15:5: "I am the vine, you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing."

Apart from Him: nothing. Not less fruit. Not smaller ministry. Nothing that lasts.

Go back to the vine. Stay there longer than feels productive. Let Him fill what ministry has emptied. And then go: not from duty, not from guilt, not from the fear of being less, but from the overflow of someone who has been with Jesus.

That is the ministry that lasts. And you are worth lasting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Simple Object Lessons That Actually Work in Kids Church

If you have been in kids ministry for any length of time, you already know the feeling intimately well. It is Sunday morning. The kids are wriggly. Attention spans are somewhere between zero and negative two. Someone has already knocked something over and the session has not officially started yet. And you, standing at the front of the room with your lesson plan and your genuine love for these children, need to communicate something eternal in a way that actually lands in a four to ten year old heart before the next distraction pulls their attention somewhere else entirely. Object lessons are one of the most powerful tools available to a kids ministry leader in exactly this moment. Not because they are particularly clever or impressive, but because of something genuinely important about how children learn and retain information. Kids remember what they see and touch far longer than what they simply hear. A truth attached to an object, to something they can watch and handle and respond ...

What I Wish Someone Told Me Before I Started Kids Ministry

Nobody warned me. I mean, people said things. They said it would be fun. They said the kids were lovely. Someone may have mentioned that it was "a lot" — but in the way people say a hike is "a lot" when what they actually mean is you will want to lie down on the mountain and never get up again. I said yes to kids ministry with the best intentions and approximately zero idea of what I was walking into. And I would say yes again in a heartbeat. But if I could go back and sit down with the version of me that was about to start — here is what I would say. 1. The prep time is a whole thing. Nobody tells you that Sunday morning is actually the end of a very long process that started on Tuesday. Or Monday if you're the organised type. Or Saturday night at 11pm if you are, well, human. There are lesson plans to read, activities to prepare, craft supplies to source, object lessons to test in your kitchen to make sure they actually work before you try them in front of t...